A cookie swap is a fun holiday party that gives you a chance to socialize with friends, co-workers, or neighbors before the holidays. Plus, everyone can stock up on tons of beautiful cookies for upcoming holiday events or give them away as gifts. This minimal-effort party can come together in just a few weeks.
Step 1. Invite Guests
The bigger your guest list, the more baking there is for everyone involved. Invite six to eight friends who love baking (and eating) cookies for starters.
Save time and money: Email invitations or create a Facebook® event.
Give enough notice: Invite people at least two weeks before the actual swap so everyone has enough time to make cookies.
Step 2. Set Some Ground Rules
- Give an exact number of cookies for guests to bake so everyone leaves with a good variety. We recommend everyone bake a dozen cookies per guest. For example, if you have invited six guests, ask each person to bring 72 cookies.
- Ask each guest to email you a copy of their recipe and let you know about any food allergies they may have.
- Ask each guest to bring enough festive trays to display their cookies at the party.
- Request cookies that are durable, but pretty. You can do wonders with chocolate drizzle or holiday sprinkles.
Step 3. Choose Your Cookie
Bake your cookies a few days before the swap. Choose a sturdy cookie that’s easy to stack and holds up well to travel. Skip the meringues.
Here are a few cookie swap all-star recipes:
Step 4. Offer Gift Boxes
Find pretty cardboard gift boxes and festive ribbon online or at any craft store. This provides each guest a lovely way to transport their cookie collection home.
Step 5. Plan a Simple Menu
The night of the party, brew some coffee and tea, and maybe uncork some wine. Provide a few simple, savory snacks and a veggie tray so guests don’t get sugar buzzed on all the sweet treats.
Offer a few of these:
- Greek Chicken & Artichoke Flatbread
- Goat Cheese & Tapenade Crostini
- Proscuitto-Wrapped Asparagus
- Warm Veggie Dip
Step 6. Swap!
After a little socializing and sampling, it’s time to swap. Invite your guests to share a story about their cookies. Are they a twist on Grandma’s classic cookie recipe or a successful Pinterest® experiment? Guests can even vote on their favorites.
Then let each guest walk around the table and make their selections. Include a table tag for each recipe.
Everyone should be able to take home about the same amount they came with.
Make It Even Easier: Let a Pampered Chef Consultant Help!
A Pampered Chef Cookie Swap can be facilitated by a consultant in your area. A consultant will come to your home equipped with unique baking tools and lead a hands-on cookie baking demonstration. It’s even easier to invite more guests. And, they can still bring their favorite cookies to swap, plus order a few last-minute holiday gifts or stock up on baking tools they’ll love.
We Want to Know!
In the comments below, share what cookie recipe you’d bring to a cookie swap and why. Is there a Pampered Chef cookie recipe that’s your favorite?