You browsed, baked, roasted, cooked, and commented on hundreds of our recipes this year. Some of your favorites have been in our recipe box for awhile, and some were developed and tested by our Test Kitchen this year. Two of the top dessert recipes are made in the new egg cooker that just launched this spring!
Here are your top 10 favorites from 2017 based on how often you viewed them.
Top 3 Main Dishes
1. Rush Hour Chicken Fajitas. These fajitas come together in a hurry when you microwave the vegetables and chicken. Hearty enough to serve the whole family, but quick enough to make it feel easy even at the end of a long day.
2. Bruschetta Pasta. When you cook your pasta noodles in broth, you get a little extra flavor. Combine that extra flavor with fresh tomatoes, garlic, and basil, and you have another easy weeknight hit.
3. Juiciest Roast Chicken. This classic recipe uses herbs and spices to add flavor to chicken without adding extra sauce and fuss. It comes together quickly, and the delicious smell will have everyone’s mouths watering as it roasts.
Top 3 Desserts
2. Dessert Pizza. This a perfect seasonal recipe to have in your apron pocket. During the summer, strawberries and blueberries make it a patriotic favorite, and during fall and winter, you can get creative with caramelized pears, pomegranates, and kiwi.
3. Blueberry Lemon Microwave Muffin. Our fantastic egg cooker jumped in with another dessert recipe in the top three. This muffin recipe is quick, easy, and, according to one of our younger reviewers, “half of it was purple and all of it was delicious!”
Bonus! Basic Vanilla Ice Cream. This basic ice cream recipe was just barely edged out of third place, so we’re giving it an Honorable Mention award. Our ice cream maker creates silky, sweet ice cream and you have been wowing us all year with fabulous variations.
Zucchini Noodle Carbonara. This recipe was included in our Fall Winter 2017 Season’s Best recipe book, which showcased one-pot meals that are ready in around 30 minutes and cost about $3 per serving. This lighter variation of the classic carbonara uses zucchini instead of pasta.
Chicken Broccoli Braid. This main dish has been a top recipe for many years. It’s comfort food that accommodates whatever leftover meat you have on hand, sneaks in a few vegetables, and makes an impressive display whether you’re serving it to your family on a Tuesday or to guests on the weekend.
Nashville Hot Chicken Hoagies. All our recipes are tested thoroughly in our Test Kitchen and are both simple to make and delicious, but some recipes are special. This recipe is one our Test Kitchen especially loved, but it hasn’t gotten a lot of attention.
Using pickle juice for fried chicken is a classic trick for Southern fried chicken. We use it as a marinade for the chicken before it’s grilled. Also, we use the coleslaw dressing on the buns to grill them before making the sandwich—it works in the same way butter does, but it doesn’t burn as easily. A lot of people use a little mayo on their grilled cheese for that reason.